At the start of the year our senior Pastor gave us a challenge to pursue God’s purpose for our lives, so teaching Sunday School I decided to break it down, see below:
Finding Your Purpose
Lesson: Teaching the children that everyone has a God given purpose and our job is to discover it. Reading in Ephesians 4: 1-16 it tells us we have different callings: shepherds, prophets, teachers etc and Ephesians 13: 12-27 describes it by comparing us to different body parts.
When we know our purpose and do it, we please God.
Psalm 32:8 – I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
Psalm 138: 8 – The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.
Romans 8:28 – And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
Romans 12: 1-2 – I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
How do we please him and fulfil his purpose?
1) Psalm 2:8 – we ask him – Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession.
2) We change our thinking to know the will of God – Romans 12:2.
3) When we know his will we obey him – Joshua 1:8.
4) With the holy spirit’s help: John 16:13 – When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.
Discovering Your Purpose
Activity: Questions and answers to cement understanding.
1) When do we not please God? When we go outside of his will found in his word.
2) Who are the ones who don’t have a purpose? Everyone has a purpose, some just chose now to follow it.
3) Which purpose (looking at body parts) is better? (let everyone try and get up without using their legs or speak without using their mouth or hear without using their ears or think without a brain etc). The idea is to show all parts are dependent on each other. So, no one’s purpose is better than another’s.
4) Can I fulfill my purpose without God’s help? The answer is in Ps 32:8.
5) How should I live from now on knowing that I have a purpose? Should I compare myself with others or be jealous or look down on other people doing what God called them to do?
All scripture references refer to the English Standard Version (ESV).
We recently concluded our church’s annual convention. See Google link for album of photos and videos here: Revealing of the Sons of God